< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 

Gumpertz

In 1649 a family migrated to Frankfurt from Emmerich in the Lower Rhineland, adopting the name Gumpertz around 1700. Several members of the family had close links to the Courts of Prussia and Hanover, and this brought the family great wealth. The family lived in Frankfurt for several centuries and involved itself with the welfare of the Jewish community. It endowed the Gumpertz Hospice, an oldpeople's home built in the Röderbergweg in the eastern part of the city following the emancipation of the Jews at the end of the 19th century.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources