< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldene Zange

Width at front: c. 2.80 metres

The Goldene Zange was built in 1604.
Around 1700 a collateral branch of the Rothschild family lived here. The Rothschilds at this time were still a relatively modest family. Their legendary rise to become the largest private bank in the world only started at the beginning of the 18th century. Another important family was a branch of the Kulp family. This was one of the rich and prominent Frankfurt Jewish families, and was one of the two leading families in the violent power struggles within the Jewish community around 1750, the KulpKann disputes.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources