< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Grüne Tür

Width at front: c. 3.70 metres

The Grüne Tür was built in 1574 as part of the subdivision, which was a frequent occurrence in the Judengasse because of the shortage of space. At first the site on which the house stood was split off from the plot on which the Haus an der Pforte stood. Five years later, new plots were split off to build the neighbouring houses Wechsel and Rote Tür.
At times the house had a very large number of occupants: the 1709 visitation list shows four households with 30 people in all, some twothirds of them children or young people. One household also had a student. The occupants of the house were primarily active in trade. They sold silk goods, cloth, linen and clothes and ox hides, which were needed in large quantities for leather manufacture.
The occupants of the house varied over time, but mostly belonged to the Stiebel family, from which the famous doctor Friedrich Stiebel was descended.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources