< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology



Width at front: c. 3,60 metres

The Eichhorn was built around 1600 by Josef from the neighbouring Wechsel. He built the house for his sons, who moved from the Wechsel.
The building housed up to four families, and its occupants were probably among the less prosperous inhabitants of the Judengasse. The 1703 visitation lists: notes that one family "is poor"; that another deals in "anything they can find", in other words they were small shopkeepers or peddlers. The father of another family in the house is shown as "keeping a shul". Finally, there was a family that sold linen. At times there were up to 20 people living in the house, but even so the house and land tax was comparatively low at seven guilders.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.

© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources