< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Rote Tür

Width at front: c. 3.40 metres

The Rote Tür was built in 1579. In 1608 a rear building was added and named the Schwarze Tür.
The occupants of the Rote Tür included a Cahn family, probably related to the Cahn family at the Haus an der Pforte. A particularly important set of occupants were the members of a branch of the Kulp family, a rich and prominent Frankfurt Jewish family. The Kulp family were leaders in the violent struggles within the Jewish community around 1750, known as the KulpKann disputes. The first member of the Kulp family in the Rote Tür was Mändle Kulp, who moved around 1700 from the Roseneck, a house off to one side on the other side of the street. Mändle was a prosperous cloth dealer. Members of the Kulp family settled in other neighbouring houses, such as the Wechsel, Goldene Zange and Goldene Tür. The branch of the family established by Mändle at the Rote Tür had a particularly large number of descendants.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources