< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Papagei

Width at front: 2.50 metres

The Papagei was built in the mid16th century. The site was previously occupied by a sukkot shelter, used for the Jewish festival sukkot (Tabernacles).
The social status of the occupants of the house varied widely. At the end of the 16th century the doctor Josef Efroim lived here. Later a family is shown as moneychangers, an occupation followed by many Jews in Frankfurt because of its trade fairs and resulting international trading activities. Later the house was occupied by a food merchant, and finally the visitation lists refer to a family which is described simply as poor.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources