< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology



Width at front: c. 2.20 metres

The Frosch was built in the second half of the 16th century.
Most of the occupants were members of the Spanier family, a family of priests. This did not mean that they were active as rabbis in the Jewish community, but rather referred to their origin as members of one of the tribes of Israel in Biblical days. The members of the Spanier family were actually relatively poor clothes dealers.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.

© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources