< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Holderbaum

Width at front: c. 3.40 metres
The Holunderbaum was built in 1595 by two sons of the highlyrespected Zons family. The site was previously occupied by a stall belonging to the Sonne, the family home of the two Zons brothers.
The inhabitants of the house had a range of occupations. Unusually, one is shown as an interpreter, This kind of service would certainly have been much in demand in Frankfurt as a major trade fair city with international visitors. In the first half of the 18th century Wolf Meyer Fulda lived in the house. He was the founder of a branch of the prominent Frankfurt Fulda family. Together with his brother Samuel Wolf, he had dealt in tea, indigo, cochenille, campeachy wood, sandalwood and safran at the Goldene Rose since 1708. These were articles from colonies which were apparently not subject to the restrictions on trade which Jews were often subject to on domestic articles. The firm's cellars were located outside the Judengasse in the Eschersheimer Landstraße. In 1731, however, the firm went bankrupt. Wolf Fulda's descendants worked as bankers.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources