< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Weißer Hirsch

Width at front: c. 3.40 metres

The Weißer Hirsch was built in 1594 on a plot which originally belonged to the neighbouring Rebstock. The house did not front directly onto the Judengasse, but was located behind the Rebstock.
Not much is known about the people who lived there. Around 1700 one of the occupants was a schoolmaster. The visitation lists for 1694 mention a 14yearold boy who was clearly his assistant. In the second half of the 18th century descendants of the prominent Oppenheim family lived here.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources