< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldene Waage

Width at front: c. 4.30 metres

The (Goldene) Waage was built in the middle of the 1560s.
Some of the occupants took the house name Waage as a family name. They were related to other prominent Frankfurt Jewish families, some of which lived in the house, for example the Bacharach and Goldschmidt families. All these families were very rich. From around 1675 the house served as the head office of the firm Isaak Benedict zur Waage, which dealt in English and Dutch cloths, wholesale calico, grey cotton cloth and plush. At the start of the 18th century there is also mention of trade in coral, a definite luxury product. The firm had international trading links: the visitation lists for 1694 say of an occupant that he was dealing "mostly outside Frankfurt and is currently in Venice".
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources