< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology



Width at front: c. 1.25 metres

The (Roter) Hase was built in 1533 for Salomon, later called Salomon zum Hasen, who paid 100 guilders for it. Salomon zum Hasen was the founder of a family which had extensive connections within the Frankfurt Jewish community and which gave rise to very prominent Jewish families such as the Haas, Kann, Schuh, Stern and Beer families.
After Salomon's death in 1559 his house was repeatedly rebuilt and the plot subdivided. Several neighbouring houses resulted. By the end of this process the Rote Hase was reduced to an appendage to its neighbouring house Amsel. For tax purposes the two houses counted as a single unit. The Roter Hase was probably the smallest house in the Judengasse, only 1.25 metres wide at the front. At the start of the 18th century eight people lived here.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.

© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources