< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Grüner Baum, Stiefel and Vogelsang

Width at front: initially only c. 2 metres for the Grüner Baum, then c. 7.20 metres for all three houses together.
The entire complex of buildings originated from three houses which were created during the second half of the 16th century by subdivision from other neighbouring houses. In 1706 they were treated as a unit for tax purposes. Clearly the Grüner Baum, Stiefel and Vogelsang also formed a structural unit, since they had a common roof.
This complex of buildings was occupied by various families. One particularly notable family was a branch of the Günzburg family which subsequently settled here and took the name of one of the houses, the Stiefel, later also modified to Stiebel. This family produced the famous Frankfurt doctor Salomon Friedrich Stiebel. Another important family is the Metz family. They migrated to Frankfurt in 1645 where they engaged in extensive moneylending and banking activities with Amsterdam, Hamburg and Cologne. Their clients included various German princes, primarily the Bishop of Würzburg. The family was repeatedly brought into financial difficulties through the insolvency or bankruptcy of their clients, with the result that individual family members also went bankrupt.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources