< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Springbrunnen

Width at front: c. 3.20 metres

The Springbrunnen was built in 1560. The most important family to occupy the house in over two centuries was a branch of the Reuß or Reuse family, which moved from the neighbouring house with the that name around 1700. The members of this branch of the family dealt in highquality cloth and silk products. They were so successful that they were classed at times among the highest taxpayers.
Around 1700 there were only three to four people living in the house. With its width at the front of 3.20 metres it was comparatively spacious, given the generally cramped state of accommodation in the Judengasse.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources