< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Schwarzer Adler

Width at front: c. 2.17 metres

The Schwarzer Adler was built in 1595. With a width at front of little over two metres this was one of the smaller houses in the Judengasse.
The house's occupants included a branch of the old Cahn family which took the house name Schwarzadler, as their family name.
Around 1700 the families in this house mainly lived from the clothing and secondhand clothing trade. An interesting note in the visitation lists for 1703 refers to a family with five children whose father was a student. In those days this meant that he was studying at a private Talmudic centre run by a rabbi, a socalled yeshiva. It is not known what the student father and his family of six. In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources