< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology



Width at front: c. 3.20 metres

The Schuh was built in 1560. The plot was subdivided from the Hasen. The builder and first occupant of the Schuh also came from the Hasen, so that the process of subdividing houses and families went together here, as so often in the Judengasse.
The original Haas family gave rise to many important Jewish family, for example the Kann family. The branch that moved into the Schuh took its house name as their family name, becoming the Schuh family. This family also frequently played an important role in the Judengasse. Amschel Schuh was also involved at the end of the 17th century in the power struggles among the Jewish elite known as the DrachKann disputes.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.

© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources