< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Halbmond

Width at front: c. 4.35 metres

The Halbmond was built in 1563. Its first occupants took their family name from the house name. At the beginning of the 18th century there were two households living here. They sold various everyday fat products and horse blankets and other gear for horses. Horse trading was a very important Jewish occupation at that time, although less in the Judengasse than in the country around Frankfurt. In the 18th century the occupants also included members of the large and powerful Kann and Kulp families. Elements in these two families were involved in violent struggles for power within the Jewish community around 1750, the KannKulp disputes. However, the members of the two families living in the Halbmond seem not to have been directly involved in this rivalry.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources