Width at front: c. 2.60 metres
The Bunter Löwe was built in 1584 by Lejw Wetzlar. He was a rabbi and a prominent scholar. At his death in 1609 he was praised as "a lion among his contemporaries". The house is supposed to have got its name ("brightlycoloured lion") from him.
At first some of his descendants lived in the house using the name Wetzlar. Later, other families moved in, such as the Friedberg, Bing and Deutz families, whose names mostly indicated the places from which they originally migrated. From the mid18th century the house was also occupied by a branch of the prominent HaasKann family calling itself Silberkron.
Around 1700 some of the occupants seem to have been less prosperous, and one family is described in the visitation lists of the period as being poor. The father in another family worked as a meat cutter, one of the few trades the Jews were allowed to practise.
At the end of the 17th century the front house was occupied by the shames and his family, a community servant with specific duties. His widowed son and his daughter and soninlaw had a separate household in the house. The son was a food merchant, and the daughter and her husband dealt in linen.
In the great fire in the Judengasse in 1711 the house was destroyed and subsequently rebuilt. After the emancipation of the Jews it was taken over by the city in 1864 for later demolition.