< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Notstall

Width at front: c. 1.85 metres

The Notstall is first mentioned in 1584/85. It was built on a site fomerly occupied by the Frass, a house that was first connected with the Notstall in the course of remodelling and subsequently integrated completely into it. In those days a Notstall was a stall that a horse was put into to be shod. It is not known why the house was given this name.
At the end of the 17th century there were three households here, all from the same family. The first household comprised a man and his wife with their maid. The man was a broker in other words, an intermediary agent in major commercial transactions. His son and daughter both had their own families and separate households within the Notstall. This close family relationship between all the occupants of a house was not usual in the Judengasse: mostly, a house had a number of different families living in it.
In the great fire in the Judengasse in 1711 the house was destroyed and subsequently rebuilt. After the emancipation of the Jews it was taken over by the city in 1843 for later demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources