< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Fraß/Goldenes Herz

Width at front: c. 2.67 metres

The Goldenes Herz is not documented among the buildings in the Judengasse until very late, at the end of the 17th century. The plot on which the house stood had already been built on earlier. This was the former site of the Fraß, which was probably built in the 16th century. In the course of various stages of remodelling and subdivision of plots it was replaced by the Goldenes Herz and the neighbouring Notstall.
With its frontal width of little more than two and a half metres, the Goldenes Herz was one of the smaller houses in the Judengasse. Even so, it was occupied by three families at the start of the 18th century. These three dealt in clothes, linen and other textiles, placing them in the middle class in the Judengasse. In the great fire in the Judengasse in 1711 the house was destroyed and subsequently rebuilt. Following the emancipation of the Jews it was taken over by the city in 1843 for later demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources