< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Handschuh

Width at front: c. 3.89 metres

The Handschuh was created in 1595 as a subdivision of the Gemse at the rear. It was a corner house, fronting on to a small side road leading off the Judengasse to one of the gates of the ghetto, the socalled Judenbrückchen.
Around 1700 the occupants of the house seem to have been prosperous: they dealt in jewels and "laces", a luxury article used to ornament clothing, and were also active in moneychanging.
In the great fire in the Judengasse in 1711 the house was destroyed and subsequently rebuilt. After the emancipation of the Jews it was taken over by the city in 1843 for later demolition.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources