< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldener Anker

Width at front: c. 2.75 metres

The Goldener Anker only got this name in 1702: before this it was called Gutruf or Gutteruff, a drinking vessel which was shown on house sign.
Originally a large house stood on this site, built around 1560 by Gottschalk from Durlach. This was replaced 35 years later by two new houses, Gutruf and the neighbouring Trichter. In the 16th and 17th centuries three prosperous families lived in the house and in part also in the neighbouring Trichter: Durlach, Mainz and Fürth, named after their town of origin.
The visitation lists for 1694 show two families, one dealing in "laces", a luxury decorative article, and the other in jewels. One family included a widowed son, who was a scribe at the meat market.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1863 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources