< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldener Trichter

Width at front: c. 2.75 metres

The (Goldener) Trichter was built around 1595 together with the neighbouring house, replacing the original Gutruf.
The first occupant was Gumprecht from the neighbouring Goldener Anker, then known as the Gutruf. Later occupants also included members of families members from the neighbouring house, such as the Mainz family. Around 1600 there were Jews living here from Aub, a town near Würzburg in lower Franconia. At the end of the 17th century two families were living in the house. The head of one earned his living as a teacher. In 1712 another occupant was Hirsch Fränkel, the rabbi at Idstein, who lived in Frankfurt. It is reported that he was imprisoned around 1730 by the margrave of Brandenburg and was allegedly entombed alive in a tower. His wife managed to escale to Frankfurt.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1865 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources