< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Roter Apfel

Width at front: c. 3.5 metres

The Roter Apfel was built in 1523 for Abraham, the soninlaw of the doctor Mosche, on a plot where a small stall had previously stood. The doctor Mosche himself lived in the Roter Löwe opposite, to which the land belonged. In 1563 the neighbouring Fröhlicher Mann was subdivided, and several years later the house was given the new name Roter Apfel. In 1606 a rear building, the Goldene Birne, was added.
The house was occupied by members of the Mainz and Schiff families, which were very prosperous. One occupant after 1660 was Meier Schiff, who was so rich that he was able to live from the interest income on his fortune. Several years later there was a jeweller living in the house.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1865 the city took it over for demolition.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources