< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Pelikan und Armbrust

Width at front: c. 8 metres

The house consisted of three buildings erected during the 16th century and merged in a single complex in 1680. It had a front building, known as the Hochzeitshaus, and rear building, known as the Pelikan. Residence code records were only kept for the Pelikan. With a frontal width of almost 8 metres this was one of the widest and most beautiful houses in the Judengasse. There was a well directly in front of the house. The Hochzeitshaus belonged to the community and was used for celebrations and weddings.
One occupant at the end of the 17th century was Aron Beer II.), a famous consul and financier to the Elector of the Palatinate. He was a member of the Beer or Bär family, one of the richest Jewish families of the time. The other occupants of the house were the Rindskopf and Reiß families, both very prosperous.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1864 the city took it over for demolition in 1870.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources