< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Ochs

Width at front: c. 3.7 metres

The Ochs was built around 1550 by Samuel LandauOchs. Although several parts of the house were split off, the remaining portion still had a frontal width of just under 4 metres, an average size for the Judengasse. For some 120 years it was the family house of the prominent LandauOchs family, a prominent family which had lived in Frankfurt since 1523.
Samuel LandauOchs, the founder of the family, was a "master builder" of the Jewish community and held an important position at the imperial court. He had a special privilege from the emperor which gave him exemption from taxes, so that he did not have to pay any taxes on his house. His descendants included many rich textile dealers and particularly silk dealers.
In the 17th and 19th centuries the house may have been divided into two portions, the Roter Ochs and the Weißer Ochs, although the house tax was paid for only one unit. During this period the occupants included members of the prosperous Wimpfen family who were very wellknown jewellers. There was also an undistinguished and poor family living here with the name Speyer, although they had no connection with the prominent family of bankers and patrons of the arts with the same name.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1884 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources