< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Hellebarde

Width at front: c. 4 metres

The Hellebarde was split off from the neighbouring Ochs around 1585. The house name was chosen by the city paymaster's office to show the origin of the house. In 1556/1558 two houses split off from the Ochs were named Armbrust and Büchse or "crossbow" and "gun".
The first occupant of the house was Majer Landau. He was a grandson of Samuel LandauOchs, the founder of the family. In the 17th century the house was occupied for a short time by David from Friedberg after he acquired right of residence by marrying into a Frankfurt Jewish family. For about 150 years the house was the family home of the Rüsselsheim family, which came from the town of that name on the river Main. They dealt in "cotton materials and other Dutch wares" and had close business links with Amsterdam. One member of the family, Moses Sußmann, was appointed court factor in November 1788 by Duke Karl August zu SachsenWeimar.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1879 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources