< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Büchse

Width at front: c. 3.8 metres

The Büchse was built around 1560 for Salomon, the son of the Jewish doctor Mendl Salomon from Breitungen. The house sign showed a firearm rather than the collecting tin which was the actual meaning of "biks" in Yiddish.
Up until around 1630 members of the prominent Aschaffenburg family of doctors occupied the house, including Männle zur Büchse. Around 1590 he was a partowner in a trading business and was one of the most highly taxed inhabitants of the Judengasse. At the end of the 17th century there were two families living in the house, one dealing in wool and the other in jewellery. The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1883 the city took it over for demolition in 1889.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources