< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldener Schwan

Width at front: c. 3.5 metres

The Goldener Schwan was built in the 16th century, but the exact date is a matter of dispute.
For over three centuries until its demolition at the end of the 19th century the house was occupied by members of the Goldschmidt family and a branch of this family also known as GoldschmidtHameln. In 1694 two families lived here who dealt in linen and hides. Around 1700 Hayum Isaak Goldschmidt, a wealthy dealer in gold and silver, lived in the house, followed by his sons.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1894 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources