< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Falke

Width at front: c. 3.3 metres

The Falke was built around 1550 for the rabbi Mosche from Epstein im Taunus. It was split off from the neighbouring Gans and consisted of a front and rear building. Mosche's descendants were named Falk, Falck or Adler after the house, which, which they owned for over 200 years. They were also called Cohen or Katz, as they came from the tribe of priests.
In the 16th and 17th centuries the family produced a number of members who served as "master builders" of the Jewish community, like the rich and respected Kalman zum Falken, known as Katz. He left a number of sons, including prosperous moneylenders. The family also produced the prominent Jewish scholar Nathan Falk, who died in 1672.
At the end of the 17th century there were three families living in the house, two of them engaged in moneylending and one dealing in hides.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1884 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources