< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology


Enge Tür

Width at front: c. 1.90 metres

The Enge Tür was built around 1575 by Hajim, the son of Jakob zum Bären, on a vacant site between the Kranich and Pflug. It probably got its name ("narrow door") because of its extremely narrow width of just under two metres. The record of the last house tax payment in 1796 has been preserved: afterwards it was perhaps merged with the neighbouring Kranich.
The occupants came from various social classes. In the 17th century Jakob Glogau (known as Schlesinger) from Großglogau in Silesia lived here as a linen and lace dealer. His son was probably the imperial court factor Max Schlesinger, who had an imperial exemption from customs, an important privilege in trading. In 1677 the Jewish doctor Löb Wallich, known as Rofe, also moved into the house and remained there with his family until his death in 1735.
In 1694 a woman butcher was registered as living here, as well as a foreign Jew who had been living in the house for six years and dealt in feathers (for counterpanes).
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1862 the city took it over for demolition.

© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources