< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology



Width at front: c. 8.5 metres

The Pflug was built in 1573 by Mordechai, son of Isaak Goldschmied from Aschaffenburg, who acquired right of residence in 1560. In 1609 Simon and Moses zum Pflug extended the house to create a front and rear building. Fifty years later the neigbouring house Ampel was split off from the Pflug.
The occupants of the house belonged to various social classes in the Judengasse. They included members of the Aschaffenburg family, the most famous family of Jewish doctors of the 16th century, and the Wohl, family which came from Hildesheim. David Jakob Wohl, who died in 1710, was very prosperous and held office as a "master builder" in the Jewish community. His descendants lived in this house until into the 19th century. For some 200 years a branch of the Bing family also lived here, including the dayan Michael Isaac Bing, who died in the mid18th century and is shown in the records as a schoolmaster.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1865 the city took it over for demolition.

© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources