< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Ampel

Width at front: c. 4 metres

The Ampel was one of the last houses built in the Judengasse. It was built around 1660, as a subdivision of the neighbouring Pflug.
The first occupant of the house was Nachum Aach from the Pflug, whose family originally came from Aachen. For some 200 years members of the Rindskopf family lived here. They had migratedWeißer Schwan from Nuremberg towards the end of the 15th century. Their real family homes were the Rindsfuß and Rindskopf, further south in the Judengasse.
At the end of the 17th century two families lived in the house who were engaged in moneychanging and moneylending and dealing in jewels. In the 18th and 19th centuries a branch of the Bing family also lived here: they were called Bingo and came from the Pflug.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1865 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources