< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology


Rotes Schild

Width at front: c. 4.5 metres

The Rotes Schild was built around 1563 by Isaac from the Roten Hahn. As the family home had a red house sign, the new house was also given a red sign to indicate the connection. The builder, Isaac Hahn, was the founder of the famous Rothschild banking family. However, this family never lived in house with this name, since another branch of Isaac's descendants lived there. The Rothschilds regarded the Grünes Schild, a house further north on the eastern side of the Judengasse, as their family home.
The Rotes Schild was a simple house, and its location at the southern end of the Judengasse, where most people were relatively poor. The descendants of Isaac Hahn, also known as Rothschild, were small business people, cantors and teachers. The greatgrandson of the builder of the house, Isaac Rothschild, was Joseph Rothschild, and he continued to own the house until the fire in the Judengasse in 1711. In 1689 he was allowed to add a rear building opposite the Predigerkloster. He dealt in Hebrew books. At that time there were several families living in the house, working as meat cutters, night watchmen and cantors. At times the house was an inn for foreigners. The occupants were all very poor, and one is shown specifically as being
"poor and maintained by the spital ".
As Joseph Rothschild had no descendants, the house was occupied in the 18th and 19th century by other families, such as the Schloß und Trier families. The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1843 the city took it over for demolition.

© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources