< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldene Stelze

Width at front: c. 3 metres

The Goldene Stelze was split off from the neighbouring Meise around 1585. The house sign showed two birds in gold.
The first occupant, Isaac, originally came from the town of Bingen am Rhein, and had previouwsly lived in the neighbouring Meise. His descendants, a branch of the Bing family, and the Maas family lived in the two houses for many years. In 1604 Meier from Friedberg moved into the house. The founder of the family, Meier Friedberg, acquired right of residence in Frankfurt through his marriage on 6 December 1604 to Gütle, daughter of the widow Reitz Bing zur Meise.
At the end of the 17th century there were two families in the house. One of them initially dealt in spices, and later in bed linen.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1843 the city took it over for demolition.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources