< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Schwarzer Rappe

Width at front: c. 2 metres

The Schwarzer Rappe and its neighbour the Goldener Hut were built around 1596/97 on a plot belonging to the neighbouring Wolf. In these years Ber aus dem Wolf was given permission to build a new house "in his yard behind the Wolf". This new house was subsequently remodelled several times, and finally consisted of three very narrow houses standing side by side, which were only two metres wide.
The occupants of the house were members of the poorer classes in the Judengasse, working as a shochet, schoolmaster or night watchman. Several of them worked as day labourers or were so poor that they had to live from charity.
In 1709 there were 22 people in the narrow house, which was only two metres wide. At that time the Schwarze Rappe also housed the rabbinic judge (dayan) Mosche Dorheim, who published the book "Josif Ometz" written by the rabbi Juspa Hahn.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1846 the city took it over for demolition.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources