< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldener Hut

Width at front: c. 2 metres

The Goldener Hut was built together with its neighbour the Schwarze Rappe around 1596/97 on a plot belonging to the neighbouring Wolf. This new house was subsequently remodelled several times, and finally consisted of three very narrow houses standing side by sid, which were only about two metres wide.
Josef, the first occupant of the Goldener Hut, came from Weilmünster. The occupants of the house werre very poor. Some of them were members of the Katz family. They were butchers. The name Katz is derived from the yiddish katzefm, or butcher. At times the occupants included a "foreign" family which lived from the husband's work outside Frankfurt, and a nurse.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1846 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources