< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology



Width at front: c. 2.35 metres

The Wolf was built around 1479/80 on community land as a house for the rabbi. This was one of the earliest houses in the Judengasse. Initially it was surrounded by a lot of undeveloped land, on which numerous neighbouring houses were built over the years. The Wolf itself was extended and subdivided towards the end of the 16th century, leaving it a frontal width of just under 2.5 metres and making it one of the narrower houses in the Judengasse.
The first occupants of the Wolf were the "master builder" and rabbinic judge Aberlin and the "master builder" Gumpen. Later occupants came originally from Eppstein and Bingen, for example the poet Majer Scheinfeld, a member of the Bing family. His son lived in the house and was a cantor.
In the 17th century the house was occupied by the Worms and Geiger families: their members belonged to the poorer classes. The relatively common family name Wolf does not come from the house name, but from the traditional Jewish forename Wolf.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1846 the city took it over for demolition.

© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources