< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldener Hahn und Fuchs

Width at front: c. 3.15 metres

The Fuchs was built around 1595 by the Mönchsturm, part of the old city wall. The house stood on land which originally belonged to the neighbouring Wolf. Several years later the Goldener Hahn was constructed as a rear building. The two houses were extremely narrow, with a width of just under two metres. After the fire of 1711 and the rebuilding of the Judengasse they were merged to form one house with a frontal width of c. 3.15 metres.
The first occupant of the Fuchs, Josef, came from Heidesheim near Mainz and had previously lived in the Wolf. Several occupants later took the house name Fuchs as their family name. The occupants of the two houses also included members of the Reiß and Schloß families.
Despite the extremely crowded conditions in the narrow houses and their poor situation at the southern end of the Judengasse, the occupants were not all poor. In the 18th century a prominent figure lived here, the silk merchant Elias Löb Reiß, a court factor to the Duke of WeimarEisenach. In his capacity as minister to the Duke, Goethe tried in vain to get a Sunday pass for Elias Löb Reiß from the Frankfurt city council which would allow him to leave the Judengasse on Sunday. At his death Elias Löb Reiß left an imposing estate of 33,425 guilders.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1846 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources