< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology


Weißer Turm

Width at front: c. 2 metres

The Weißer Turm was built around 1600 by the Mönchsturm, which formed part of the old city wall. The house sign showed a tower ("Turm").
In yiddish and the old Frankfurt dialect it was called "Weiss Turn" (the "T" was pronounced as a "D" and the "U" was closer to an "O"), which is why it also appears in the records as "Weiss Dorn". With its frontal width of c. 2 metres the house was very narrow and generally housed only one family.
The first occupant of the house was Amschel from Wetzlar, who had originally lived in the neighbouring Wolf. At the end of the 17th century the bookkeeper to the prominent businessman Aron Bonn lived here. In the 18th century the house was occupied by the Schwalbach family, which originally came from the wellknown spa with that name.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1843 the city took it over for demolition.

© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources