< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldener Adler

Width at front: c. 3.10 metres

The Goldener Adler was built around 1590 by Rafael Amorsweiler and his soninlaw Lebmann Dorum.
Both families came from the region around Friedberg. They lived in the house in the 16th and 17th centuries, together with the Papagei and Pfann families.
In 1694 there were poor people in the house, for example a widow who is described as "depraved", a wine seller, and a poor man from Bingen. After 1700 the occupants included a scribe, "poor Simon", wit his wife and four children. The trade of scribe was frequently passed down from father to son, and the trade became as much an inherited family name as Schreiber as the house name Adler.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1843 the city took it over for demolition in 1866.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources