< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldene Hand und Diamant

Width at front: c. 3.10 metres

The Goldene Hand was built around 1550 and originally called Esel. Around 1600 it was divided into a front and rear building. The latter was called Diamant. In 1625 the front building was renamed Goldene Hand.
The first occupant of the house came from Worms and was a teacher.
The front building was occupied by the Bonn and Darmstädter families, the rear building Diamant by members of the Mainz, Buchsbaum and Kulp families. In the 18th century the occupants lived by dealing in linen and lace, sold beer and bread, and worked as schoolmasters. There was also a night watchman with his dependents, who had been in Frankfurt for 30 years but were still classed as "foreigners".
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1846 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources