< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Schwarzes Schild

Width at front: c. 3.4 metres

The Schwarzes Schild was built around 1578 as a house for butchers, since it was close to the meat market. The occupants came from a house of the same name on the east side of the Judengasse and took the house name with them when they moved.
At the same period the house name also became the name of the Schwarzschild family, and members of this family were the sole occupants for some 250 years. In line with its original purpose, the house was occupied by numerous butchers over the centuries. However, there were also dealers living in the house, for example a family dealing in thread. In the 17th century the cantor Jisrael Schwarzschild came back to the house after working as a shochet in Deutz and the region around Cologne.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1843 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources