< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Roter Hut

Width at front: c. 3.3 metres

The Roter Hut was split off from the neighbouring Schwarzes Schild during the 17th century. Like the latter, it was a lodging for butchers. The name was taken from a house of the same name on the west side of the Judengasse. The first occupant of the house was Wolf from the Schwarzes Schild. In line with the house's original purpose, numerous butchers lived here over the centuries. However, there were also occupants with other occupations: in 1694 a family was dealing in tin and buttons. In the 18th century there were two butchers and also the hekdesh director Rafael Schwarzschild.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1843 the city took it over for demolition.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources