< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldener Kopf

Width at front: c. 4 metres

The Goldener Kopf was built at the end of the 16th century. It was one of three new houses built at the southern gate of the Judengasse after the space available had been extended slightly at that point. It was the last house before the gate to the Judengasse, as the other two new houses, the Eule and Goldene Ente actually stood outside the southern gate.
The main occupants of the house (and of the Stuhl, its neighbour to the north) were members of the Bing family. At the end of the 17th century these ran a hot food stall and lived from moneychanging and moneylending. A foreign family worked as day labourers. Several years later the number of occupants had risen to 27 in five households. The occupants also included two night watchmen and a nurse, who was classed as a foreigner.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1863 the city took it over for demolition in 1884.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources