< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 

Roter Krebs

Width at front: c. 2.6 metres

The Roter Krebs was built around 1590. For two centuries it was occupied exclusively by members of the Langenbach family, who also used the name Levi or took the house name Krebs.
In the 17th century one of the occupants ran a book press. At times the house seems to have stood empty, since the visitation list for 1694 shows it as unoccupied.
Only 15 years later there were three families with numerous children and servants living in the house. In the mid18th century the son of a banker from the Rindskopf family married into a family in the roter Krebs. In the 19th century the descendants of the Langenbach family were engaged in the furniture industry.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1843 the city took it over for demolition.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources