The Steinerne Haus was built in 1717 on a site where the Kaltes Bad and later the Tanzhaus ("dance hall") had stood.
The Kaltes Bad, or mikve, was built around 1460/62 during the creation of the Judengasse. A few years later a dance hall was built on this site, which was around 17 metres wide. It belonged to the Jewish community and was used for weddings and celebrations.
In 1611 part of the site was split off, to build the adjoining Warmes Bad. The site with the dance hall was now only about ten metres wide, but this was still very large compared with the other houses in the Judengasse.
Up to 1711 the dance house also served as lodging for community employees. Two cantors lived here with their families. The mikve in the basement continued to be used, until it was destroyed in 1711 in the great fire in the Judengasse.
In 1717 the soninlaw of court factor Samson Wertheimber erected a baroque house built of stone on this site. This was the only stone house in the Judengasse, which explains the name Steinernes Haus ("stone house"). To push through construction of this imposing house against the opposition of the city council, direct intervention by the emperor in Vienna was needed.
The Steinernes Haus was one of the most impressive and beautiful houses in the Judengasse.
Although there were efforts to preserve the house, it was taken over by the city along with the other houses and demolished in 1887.
In 1987 the foundations of the Steinernes Haus were excavated and restored. They can be seen here in the museum.