< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Kamel

Width at front: c. 3.4 metres

The Kamel was built around 1573. It stood on a site which belonged to the neighbouring Weißes Rößlein. To indicate the link between the new house and the Weißes Rößlein the city paymasters gave the new house an animal as its house name, the camel.
For over 200 years the house was occupied by members of the Goldschmidt family, which had originally come from the Westphalian town of Hameln. The Kamel was the family home for one branch of the family, also known as HirschhornHameln, Lämmche or Lemgo.
At the end of the 17th century two families were living in the house, one of which was engaged in the rag and cloth trade.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1883 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources