< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Grüner Wald

Width at front: c. 2.6 metres.
The Grüner Wald was built between 1659 and 1700. It was split off from the neighbouring Weißes Rößlein and was one of the last houses built in the Judengasse to create additional living room for the Jewish inhabitants. Around 2.6 metres wide, it was a narrow house like most of the houses at the southern end of the Judengasse.
This house and its neighbours were often occupied by employees of the Jewish community or people in Jewish religious professions. Directly nearby was the Kaltes Bad, the mikve and the yeshiva, the Klause.
At the end of the 17th century two families lived in the house, one trading in spices. The other (a couple with two children) came from Worms, were shown as foreigners and had been living in Frankfurt for three years. The husband was the cantor in the synagogue.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1876 the city took over the house for demolition .


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources