< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Weißes Rößlein


Width at front c. 2.10 metres

The Weißes Roß was built at the start of the 16th century. It originally belonged to the Jewish community and was used as a lodging for the schoolmaster. The teacher Simmelin from Geismar and his wife were the first occupants of the house. In the Pfefferkorn book confiscations the Simmelin's books were also confiscated.
It seems that poorer people and, often, schoolmasters lived here, since all the community facilities such as the mikve at the Kaltes Bad were directly at hand. At the end of the 17th century a family lived here who took in lodgers and sold mineral water. The house was also occupied by a schoolmaster with his wife and child, foreigners from Homburg who had been living in Frankfurt for two years without permits. Several years later there was an inn at the house, and wood and mineral water were also sold there.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1863 the city took over the house for demolition .


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources