< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Weißer Ring

Weißer Ring
Width at front: c. 3.7 metres

The Weißer Ring was built around 1563. It stood on a plot which had originally belonged to the old Schwarzer Ring. The Gelber Ring and Rost were also subsequently built here. The house projected further into the Judengasse than its neighbour to the south, the Trommel.
The occupants of the house were impoverished members of the Gelhäuser family. In the 17th century Seligmann Gerotwohl, a "master builder" in the Jewish Community, lived here with his family. Later occupants included families from Trier and Worms, the Fuld family and (from 1789) Marcus BaruchHalle, the uncle of Ludwig Börne. He had married the daughter of the wealthy cloth merchant Halle, and after his fatherinlaw's death he kept up the business.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1879 the city took it over for demolition.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources